Receptionist Job Requirements
A receptionist is a professional involved in various clerical and administrative duties such as operating the multi phone line systems, directing the client calls to the respective departments, greeting the visitors to the organization and providing essential information to the visitors etc.
Receptionist As A Career Path
A receptionist finds work in a wide range of organizations such as IT industries, banking and finance industries, social organizations, health care centers, nursing homes and hospitals etc. Some receptionists work full time and some work part time also.
The employment opportunities of receptionists are projected to grow 24 percent in the next five to seven years from 2012, as per the data collected from the Occupational Outlook Handbook published by the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics.
The detailed job responsibilities of a receptionist are:
- Receiving calls from different clients and also dialing calls for collecting certain required information.
- Greeting the visitors and customers.
- Filing, faxing and laminating the required documents.
- Creating and organizing files.
- Indexing the relevant files into the appropriate databases.
- Preparing documents for shipping and mailing.
- Maintaining the office supplies and inventories.
Required Educational Profile For A Receptionist
The required educational qualifications for a receptionist are:
- The minimum qualification is a high school diploma or equivalent.
- Basic computer certification would be advantageous.
- Working experience of clerical skills such as typing, copying and faxing would be given preference.
Core Competencies Required For A Receptionist
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office programs.
- Ability to type 35 words per minute accurately.
- Strong data entry and typing skills.
- Ability to handle multiple phone lines simultaneously.
- Excellent communication skills and interpersonal skills.
- Effective speaking and listening skills.
- Attention to detail.
- Ability to multitask in a fast paced environment.
- Strong customer service skills.
- Should exhibit high levels of professionalism.
Posted in Job Requirements